Hinton, S.E. The Outsiders. New York: The Viking Press, 1967. Print.
Annotation:
In a society where you’re either a Greaser or a Soc, no matter what, you’re always an "outsider."
Justification for Nomination:
Over thirty years later, S. E. Hinton’s The Outsiders is still as relatable and relevant as it was when she wrote it back in 1967. The story revolves around two social groups on opposite ends of the spectrum – the Greasers and the Socs (short for Socials). Ponyboy Curtis is an intelligent and sensitive 14-year-old who also happens to be a Greaser. On one fateful evening, Ponyboy and his best friend, Johnny, are walking home and are jumped by five Socs. As Ponyboy is being drowned in a fountain, somehow Johnny is able to break free and stab the Soc, killing him. Ponyboy and Johnny are forced to run away and hide out in an abandoned church. It is here where Ponyboy and Johnny, being away from society and the pressures of their group, are able to really look within themselves and discover what they have inside of them. Ponyboy and Johnny are able to see their futures and it doesn’t look so bad.
Of course I think The Outsiders deserves a nomination as it is a classic, realistic, coming of age story where Ponyboy wrestles with his quest of figuring out where he fits into society. On one hand, he’s intelligent, is able to take advanced courses in school, and excels in English and writing. His teachers are very encouraging to him. On the other hand, however, his social group, the Greaser, is a bunch of teenagers who smoke, drink, steal, and get into rumbles with the Socs. Ponyboy’s parents were killed in a train accident and his older brother, Darry, is his guardian. Darry’s priority is working and keeping his brothers together. Darry is rough around the edges, but means well. He’s not nurturing or encouraging, but he loves Ponyboy in only a way he knows how.
S. E. Hinton’s way of telling Ponyboy’s story is unique. She begins and ends her story with the same line – When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home… By doing so, Hinton brings her story full circle. Ponyboy is the narrator of the story and it’s told strictly from his point of view. Hinton writes each character with such dimension and detail that makes you think you know these guys. I ached when I read of Johnny’s tumultuous home life where he was being physically abused by his father. I laughed at how simple and ridiculous Two-Bit was with his one-liners. I could invision Sodepop's movie star good looks. I felt compassion for Darry because the love he had for his brothers, Ponyboy and Sodapop, was evident to the reader, while not so clear to Ponyboy himself.
After seeing The Outsiders many times, I’m so, so glad I read this book. While the movie is great, the characters and plotline in the book are so much richer. Oh, and I thought the ending of the movie was a tearjerker... reading it was even more tearjerkier!
Genre Category: Censored/Challenged, Pre-1980s Classics, Coming of Age/Search for Identity, Realistic
No comments:
Post a Comment